Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner – Raising the Standard of Care in IP™
From startups to well-established companies, Schwegman is consistently top-ranked in patent quality in the healthcare space and is recognized as raising the standard of care in global protection of medical technology.
- R&D by acquisition is the new normal. Our team includes seasoned former in-house counsel that have looked at hundreds of deals. From years in the trenches, we understand the details of market exclusivity that the venture capital, large strategic players, and other investors look for during diligence to either support or scuttle a deal. Whether a private round of funding, an IPO or a merger/acquisition, we can conduct the needed diligence.
- The quality game has changed. U.S. Inter Partes Review (IPR) and European Opposition practices demand robust patent filings that can survive the brutal statistics of challenges common in the medical space. Schwegman has managed large OUS and US portfolios and has expanded its IPR practice and its European practice with an integrated European office and EP experts located in the U.S. We can help craft a robust portfolio or to help rejuvenate or salvage a portfolio that has undergone post-grant proceedings.
- A holistic approach is needed for your IP portfolio and for your organization, to manage spend while maximizing global protection and ROI, and to coordinate IP strategy with FDA regulatory approval, clinical, and marketing strategies.
- Navigate the diagnostic and therapy method thickets with experienced patent attorneys with deep legal expertise, including in complex and turbulent caselaw for diagnostic methods in the U.S. and medical methods in other countries, and familiar with the examiners applying the law.
- Freedom to Operate is important in the litigious medical device space—Schwegman has developed cutting-edge tools and processes to answer FTO questions “early and often” to mitigate risk before locking in a design with R&D expense, clinical studies, and FDA review. Formal reports or formal patent opinions can be provided when needed, and our FTO process can help establish a level of diligence needed to avoid willful infringement and treble damages.
- Leverage technology trends such as artificial intelligence (AI) with a team well-versed in these technologies and their expansion into the healthcare space, especially for connected devices and wearables.
The Schwegman medical device team has unparalleled deep cross-functional medical technology expertise, including audiology, cardiology, electrophysiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, interventional cardiology, nephrology, neurology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, sports medicine, vascular surgery, medical imaging, artificial intelligence, robotics, and more.
Examples of medical devices and technologies include: biopsy instruments, cardiac rhythm management devices, catheters, deep brain stimulation catheters and targeting, dental appliances and implants, dialysis systems, drug-eluting devices, energy ablation and tissue remodeling devices, heart pumps, imaging systems, incontinence and urinary devices, infusion pumps and drug delivery systems, laser surgery systems, neurostimulation devices, orthopedics such as spinal implants and prosthetic joints, prosthetic heart valves, radiation therapy delivery systems, robotic surgery, sanitation systems, smart devices, stent delivery systems, stent-grafts, stents, surgical instruments, wearables, and much more.
- 14 advanced degrees
- 447 years of IP experience
- 30 years of in-house legal experience
- 169 years of industry technical experience
- 73 years of medical device industry technical experience